Wednesday, December 10, 2008

It's a Wonderful Life

This afternoon as I was baking cookies, with Christmas music on in the background, and listening to the giggles of little girls giddy over the fact that it was snowing outside, I got a little emotional. I know, I know...those of you who know me are thinking, "Lindsay...emotional....huh?" It certainly could have something to do with pregnancy hormones. But maybe it didn't. We had just spent the last 30 minutes outside with every other kid in the neighborhood, running around screaming with excitement. For those of you who do not live here, it does not snow here. So the fact that there were snow flurries coming down this afternoon.....big. Huge, in fact. I actually didn't really "have time" to go outside and play for 30 minutes, because I needed to finish my cookies, take a shower, get dressed, get the house in order and feed the girls dinner. And I only had 2 hours to get this all done. We had just come inside to warm up and I was continuing my baking. And, if you're wondering, no I do not just randomly bake in the middle of the afternoon, because I'm just that good. I had a cookie exchange party to go to tonight. Just in case you were starting to get jealous that I'm a "Betty Crocker" kind of gal. I was listening to KSBJ and the DJ referred to the snow as a "...beautiful, perfect gift from God. A real miracle." So as I was dipping my shortbread cookies into the melted chocolate and listening to this along with my giggly girls, I got emotional. I thought, "she's right." It is a gift. The snow. It is a gift that, even though I "didn't have time," I went out with my girls and we ran around in the snow for half an hour. It is a gift that I live in this warm, cozy house when it's freezing outside and I'm spending the afternoon baking. For a brief moment in time this afternoon, I thought to myself, "Wow...this life.....could it get any better?" I wish I could feel this way about life all the time. But then again, how would I know to appreciate the moments like this afternoon if it felt that way all the time. I think that's how God works. He allows the ups & downs in our lives, so that when we get to experience a true miracle of His, we appreciate it for what it is. After I was done baking, the song "Happy Birthday Jesus" came on the radio. Reagan looked up at me with her big, round eyes and said, "Ooh Mommy, I know this song!" She began to sing along in the sweetest, softest voice. And if you know Reagan, you know that a "sweet, soft" voice is not the norm for her." I just thought, "Thank you God. Thank you for this moment this afternoon with my girls and with the snow and with You." It's a Wonderful Life.

1 comments:

Kelli said...

I'm so happy that you got to enjoy your moment, because in the business of life we do forget to stop and be in the moments that God blesses us with. Enjoy!