Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Adjusting Well

Ty has been doing remarkably well with the helmet so far. We are on a schedule of taking it on & off and wearing it more & more as the days go on, so we can ease him into the 23 hours a day. I was dreading today. It really hasn't seemed to even bother him while wearing it during the day. However, today is the first day he was scheduled to nap in it and sleep at night with it. Scary. I mean, who would want to sleep with a hard plastic thing on your head? Not me. I just put him down for his morning nap. His first nap with his helmet. I left the room, came downstairs, and prepared to hear crying from the monitor. I prepared myself to go up & down the stairs over and over, comforting him and trying to get him to go to sleep. I went into my room where the monitor is and waited...


...waiting.....



waiting.....



and...silence
No red lights flashing across the monitor to indicate a very upset baby.


I headed upstairs to check out what was going on and this is what I found...
Sweet, sweet, sleeping baby. Now granted, I broke a lot of my rules for putting a baby down for a nap. I put a pillow in his bed AND I let him have his pacifier. Two BIG no no's for me. BUT I figure he deserves a little bit of a break from those rules for a while.

And for those of you wondering why he is in this helmet in the first place, take a look at Exhibit A:
No worries, Buddy! We're going to get that head round again. And I promise to try and make you as comfortable as possible in the process. Even if it means bending some rules.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through a series of other blogs...felt I had to comment. My daughter also wore a helmet for about four months...she was around 6 months or so when she got it. I decorated it with pretty stickers...just wanted to say hang in there...he will have an even more perfectly precious head in a few months!

Lacey said...

What a sweet little guy. I am glad that he doesn't seem too phased by it. What a little trooper!! It seems that it may be harder on mom than him. :)