Sunday, December 27, 2009

Adjusting

Tomorrow morning my baby boy is getting a helmet. No, we're not starting him in football early so he can be the next star quarterback. He's getting a helmet to fix his flat head. According to the Special Head Doctor, because Ty was "such a big baby" yeah, tell me about it he was wedged quite tightly in utero. And he just happened to be wedged with his head stuck to the right. So after he was born he always favored laying his head on that side. That caused his head to become very flat just on that side and really his whole head to shift and be asymmetric. So he's getting a helmet that will help round out that melon, you know, in case he ever wants to have a buzz cut or shave his head completely. Actually there are many medical issues that can arise in the future by his head being so asymmetric. He will probably wear it for somewhere around 4 months and he must have it on 23 hours a day. Yep. 23 hours. So he will sleep in it, eat in it, poop in it well not really poop IN it, but you know what I mean. The next few nights should be interesting as he is learning to sleep with a hard plastic shell on his head. You know what the funniest thing about all of this is? I'm not stressed about it. I'm not upset that he has to wear it. I'm not even worried about what other people will think when they see him. I am sad. I'm sad that I won't be able to stroke his forehead with my cheek when I'm feeding him his bottle. Sad that I won't be able to press my face up against his so I can feel his warm head and smell that yummy smell. I have literally been drinking in every single second I can with him. So I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of adjusting going on in our household this week. Probably more so by me, than by him.

1 comments:

Tim said...

Hope you guys had a very Merry Christmas! We think about you often.

Our prayers are with you on the helmet thing, and we are sure all will be fine. Taylors head was not symetrical either, but those things always seem to work out ok.

Have a Happy New Year!

All Our Love,

Tim, Carey, Taylor, and Will