Monday, February 2, 2009

Pardon me...

...but when did Starbucks become the place you take your toddlers and let them run around like wild banshees while you sit in a comfy chair in the corner and chat it up with your girlfriends? 


I do my work at home on my laptop. I love my little desk that my laptop sits on and I have a nice view of the crosses hanging on my wall above the desk when I work. But today I just wanted a different atmosphere for my working environment. Both of the girls were in school, so I thought I would take my laptop to the Starbucks around the corner from my house, have a nice cup of coffee, and do my work in the tranquil environment of a quaint coffee shop. You know the whole "Starbucks" atmosphere...lounge chairs, the aroma of coffee, the cool, not-very-well-known musician playing over the speakers. WRONG!
Why was I wrong, you ask? Well because some other people today thought they had a brilliant idea. The brilliant idea to go and meet their friends for coffee and some small talk. The problem: They had toddlers! And the Moms sat in the corners in their cozy chairs, sipping their non-fat, skinny lattes with low-fat whipped cream, gossiping about their pesky neighbors. All the while completely ignoring the fact that their toddlers were running around the place yelling and coming up to me and touching my things as I was trying to get work done. At one point I actually thought Starbucks had one of those tea kettles that whistles really loud when the water's hot. Then I realized it was a kid...squealing. Seriously. This is not ok. If I'm going to pay $5 for a cup of coffee while I work, then I better get the "experience" that comes with the coffee. So to all those Moms out there that think it's ok to bring their kids to Starbucks, give them a Horizon Chocolate Milk & a train from home, and let them run amok, driving everyone in the place completely crazy, while you chat with your friends, I say to you in my best Southern accent, "No Ma'am. No. Ma'am. 

5 comments:

Amber Dupree said...

I had a similiar experience at a Pizza Hut buffet. Totally different environment but the same problem. All I wanted to do was feed my kids and go home. Two women were there and between the two of them there were 6 children. Instead of these moms taking care of their kids, they were letting them run all over the place while they sat and discussed wine. Seriously; Kids under 10 must be accompanied by an adult for a REASON. Read the sign people. I was disgusted.

Shannon said...

Okay seriously...I was fine up until I read "No ma'am, No ma'am" And then I just about spit my coffee out of my mouth! HILARIOUS!!! Preach on, sista!

Lacey said...

You crack me up. I second the "no Ma'am" comment...made me laugh out loud.

Kelli said...

Lindsay that is TOO funny. It amazes me how people can be so thoughless.

Between the Dreaming said...

That may be one of the funniest things I have ever heard!!! I LOVE it! And second that seriously! I have never taken the girls INTO Starbucks...drivin' thru plenty of times...but never gone in! You must have been at the same Starbucks Brandon was at last week. He came home with the SAME story!

:))))